Friday, September 13, 2013

September

What is it about September that brings on melancholy? The end of summer, the beginning of school, the leaves changing color and dropping, the changing light - all symbols of loss that feel more momentous then a birthday.

For my kids September was about beginnings like the start of a new year, a return to friends and the prospect of new challenges. For me it was more about time. Septembers were clear designations of the beginning and end of a cycle. The return to the drop-off line each new year left me feeling stunned, but without it, I would have spun into another one without notice.

So on this September day, I reflect on a year that has been momentous on many levels. It began with a huge loss and then progressed into a rich experience of teaching, residencies, exhibitions and collaborations. A year complete with new beginnings, new friends and many challenges. Today, I also look ahead - to a calendar full of workshops, exhibitions and the prospect of many new interactions.

I live next door to an elementary school and witness a cacophony of small voices each day during arrival, recess and dismissal. I just realized how much I love this. They are back after a long hot spell of silence and ready to march into their new year. It feels good to hear them again.

1 comment: