Friday, October 21, 2011

Materializing



Yesterday I began an outdoor installation at Stonehill College, a commission for the students of a curatorial class who are organizing a show at the Cushing Martin Gallery this November.

I'm thrilled to be one of the artists that will be participating with four of my works, Undercurrent, Marrow, Transplant and a new site specific outdoor installation to be done exclusively for the show.

Now I'm deep in thought with what I love most... engineering, designing and experimenting with materials. My plan is to create the same aesthetic of the wool and driftwood of the smaller Marrow Series but with a large 'live' tree and outside in the elements. This means thinking about waterproofing, noninvasive armatures to attach to the tree, scale of design etc.

The photos below show chicken wire arranged around the trunk. They map out the general placement of the marrow pieces and will hold them securely without harming the tree. This weekend I'll be testing waterproofing sprays for efficacy and their effects on wool and fiber. How this structure changes with the weather will be a study in itself and it is not meant to be permanent, but it does need to sustain a month of late autumn weather!

Stitched: Nature Constructed
Cushing Martin Gallery, Stonehill College
November 7 - December 12

Reception November 18, 6-8 pm

I'll be documenting the process over the next two weeks. Please check in often to see how it's coming along!






No comments:

Post a Comment